Tuesday, April 2, 2013

5 Reasons the MRS. Degree is Dumb.

These days seems all of my college friends are just "waiting for the ring."

I thought the MRS. degree died with 80s. Apparently, I was wrong. 



This post is to express my opinion that getting married right after school is the DUMBEST. IDEA. EVER. 



My reasons?

1. I'm selfish. And quite honest about it. After nearly a year in the real world, I can honestly say nothing is better than really being out on your own. For the first time in my life, I can really do what I want, when I want and only rely on myself. This short period of life is sweet so embrace it while you can.

2. Statistics. Half of all marriages end in divorce. Because of this, I want to be absolutely sure this is the real deal. You say you are sure he's the one? Well then why the rush? I mean, if he is and you're doing it right, you'll be with him the rest of your life. Why not enjoy a few years of being selfish....

3. It's work. A great relationship is work, A lot of work. Suddenly, it's all about compromise and pressures related to your future, like everyone asking when you're going to have kids (don't even get me started on that topic!!)!!!!! Getting married should never be the thing to do. 

4.  Heartbreak. I believe no one should be allowed to get married until they have their heart ripped out of their chest,  thrown into a blender and made into the sangria they drink to drown their sorrows. I genuinely feel lucky to have dated by whackjob exes because I know have higher standards than ever before. I can't imagine having never gone through heartbreak before marriage. In this instance, you can, to some extent, never realize how lucky you are to have found someone worthy of marriage. 

5. Exploring my Options. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had a lot of fun exploring my options throughout the years. Sure, it can get a little cyclical at times, but why pick your ice cream flavor before sampling all the tasty looking options? I know I get tired of the same flavor after a while and I'd like to avoid having this happen in my personal life. 



Postgrad life is vastly different from college. Get your life together first and the right guy will come along at the right time. Promise. 




9 comments:

  1. I'm not even going to lie, I used to think that I needed to get married right out of school. After a few years I realized what's the rush! I completely agree with you, we're all young and have plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to forget that not all girls get married right after (if not during) college, since almost all girls do here in the South! I swear, I feel like an old maid at 21!! Of course, I know that's not true, but last month during the 5 (!!!!) candle passings we had, I couldn't help but wonder if I was the only one not getting married right after school! Thanks for this great reminder list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you wholeheartedly, cutie! Especially the statistics-- the older you are when you get married, the more likely it will work out. I'm 28 and still not married-- after college, I enjoyed my time unattached, which made it possible to go on and get a master's degree. And in the process, I snagged a keeper of a boy, sooo...

    Girls, hold off on marriage for a bit!

    xo

    Courtney @ Little Miss MBA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I totally agree with you. I know so many people who are getting married and they're 23 or 24 and it is TERRIFYING. ahhhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say everyone is different. I married the only man I've ever dated when I was 20. John was my high school sweet heart, and he's made the last 8 years of my life the absolute happiest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree 100%. It's so absurd how many of my friends have the mentality that they have to meet "the one" in college and live happily ever after. WHAT'S THE RUSH?? I have a boyfriend now but I don't think I could even consider marriage until I'm at LEAST 25. I love doing whatever I want in my early 20's and getting married/starting a family at a young age honestly sounds so unappealing right now. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! :)

    -Catie
    booksbeautyandbars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to point out there is a huge difference between a MRS degree and getting married right out of school. MRS degree implies that you went to school to find a husband. I most certainly did not, but I did get married at 22. The best part is that everyone gets to do what they consider the best for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A freaking men! I love this. I'm 25...and JUST NOW wanting to be serious. I have changed so much from 21 to now...I can't imagine having been married for this craziness of the 1st half of my 20's! Totally agree with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think love can hit you at any time, but the one thing that bothered me so much being a fashion major was the girls that don't want to be independent because they are counting on having a hubby support them (& therefore majored in fashion because they "liked shopping"

    everyone should want to feel a sense of independence and individuality!

    ReplyDelete